The Attest Brand Index is a platform agnostic measure of a brand’s total brand equity in the Snacks sector, as determined by real consumers.
What do we mean by ‘platform agnostic’? We mean the results are not influenced by any particular method of obtaining them, such as looking only at social media mentions, or brand search terms. This provides a much more accurate view of a brand’s strength in any given category by reducing bias.
To determine the Snacks Brand Index, we look at three things:
- Percentage of unprompted brand recall within a named category e.g. ‘Gaming & Gambling’ ‘Travel’ or ‘Entertainment’
- How likely a person is to purchase your particular brand (Purchase Intent)
- How likely a person is to recommend your brand (Net Promoter Score)
Each quarter we rank the brands in the top 10 leaderboard based on eight industry-specific attributes. Here are the main points of interest:
- Despite being given the highest weighted ranking for five of the eight attributes (and securing the highest average ranking overall) in Q1, McCoy's drops out of the leaderboard entirely in Q1, its hold on consumer consciousness not strong enough to secure a high enough Unprompted Brand Recall score.
- KP replaces McCoy's as winning the highest weighted ranking for the most attributes in Q2: taste, snack doesn't get boring, memorable branding & adverts and sustainable packaging.
- Graze took three bottom-place scores in Q1, for taste, price and memorable branding. In Q2 their fate has shifted considerably, they now lose no category, and win the title of the brand with the highest consumer perception of nutritional value.
- Walkers retain the number one position, though their dominance slips slightly in Q2 as compared to Q1. Despite a marginal rise in Net Promoter Score (NPS), they experience a fall in Unprompted Brand Recall and Purchase Intent which causes an overall drop from 4,430 Total Brand Equity to 3,490. This still leaves the crisps brand streaking ahead of their next closest competitor, Cadbury - with a Total Brand Equity of 700 - but if this trend were to continue into quarters 3 and 4 in the same way, Walkers will need to address the shift.
- Consumers are naming healthy brands more frequently in Q2; Snack a Jacks enters the leaderboard in 10th position, and Graze undergoes the most significant rise up the leaderboard from 10th place to 4th overall. Considerable jumps in all three key metrics cause this turn of fate for Graze, their NPS rising the most significantly, from 6.7 to 54.2.
- It's a poor quarter for crisps brands. Doritos drop 2 places down the leaderboard, meanwhile McCoy's and Kettle Chips drop out of the leaderboard entirely, to be replaced by Snack a Jacks and Snickers (who take 7th position).
The Full Report
The 2019 Snacks Brand Industry Report includes:
- The UK's leading Snacks brands for Awareness, Purchase Intent and Net Promoter Score
- Overall Brand Strength and Total Brand Equity index
- Industry averages and market dynamics
- Key takeaways for the UK Snacks industry
This report is based on a nationally representative survey of 1000 people in the UK (aged 18+), surveyed in Q1 2019.